NDPI’s experience has produced lessons learned about the attributes of truly transformative partnerships. These characteristics are sought out in NDPI program partners and include:
- Participation of organizations with diverse interests, cultures and approaches.
- Shared interests in developing a specific project, but with flexibility to pursue ideas and opportunities beyond that original scope.
- Teams of highly motivated, diversely qualified individuals with a passion for the project the partnership is developing. People who enjoy working in teams, are committed to team learning and who consider themselves change agents within their own organizations.
- The combined resources, flexibility and autonomy to adapt project designs and plans to meet specific development needs as results are evaluated.
- Shared commitment to long-term project results that avoid the pressures of having to sacrifice sustainable benefits in favor of short term results to justify continued support.
- Shared values and guiding principles for how to achieve sustainable social and economic development.